Building Partnerships Outside the Classroom That Work [Blog Post]
In this blog post by Jennifer D. Klein, she describes strategies that teachers can use to ensure a more successful and engaging global classroom. The strategies include:
- Turn to existing networks, relationships, and organizations for seeking out an international partner
- Establish equal and culturally-responsive partnerships
- Form partnerships for the sake of forming genuine connections rather than focusing on the extent of cultural differences
- Take the time to develop deep, constructive, long-term global relationships
- Keep expectations realistic and build foundations upon smaller successes in the beginning
- Supplement developing deeper partnerships with smaller experiences with individuals
- Remember that communication takes patience and intercultural skills
- Research and learn from what others have tried
The author recommends several resources (including blogs and books) that a teacher could use, and also notes that global classrooms - though involving a lot of trial and error - are important for allowing students to establish real human connections with others.
For more, visit the blog post here.